The blades and vanes of the low-pressure and high-pressure turbines are exposed to extremely high temperatures and pressures in operation. To make sure they perform reliably special repair techniques and treatments are needed. For these parts, MTU’s Repair Services also offer a wide range of innovative technologies which may make the airfoils even more resistant to high operational stresses than virgin OEM parts are.
A fine example of the expertise of MTU Maintenance’s repair engineering specialists is MTUPlus balance stripping. During this process, the airfoils to be repaired are continuously measured to determine exactly how much coating material must be removed. With this stripping method, which does not harm the parent metal in any way, airfoils can be repaired three times during their service life instead of once only.
- MTUPlus balance stripping
- MTUPlus Laser Powder Cladding (tip repair)
- MTUPlus Tip Protection
- Adaptive milling
- Chemical vapor deposition (CVD)
- MTUPlus under-platform coating
- Electron-beam physical vapor deposition (EB-PVD) of thermal barrier coatings (TBC)
- Thermal barrier coating (TBC)
- Laser drilling
- Platinum aluminide coating
- MTUPlus airfoil replacement technology
- MTUPlus brazing
- Fluoride ion cleaning (FIC)